Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Running with Friends (or without them)


Finding a Local Running Club

Continuing with my blog blitz into the New Year.  I really wanted to catch up with the things I wanted to write about but haven’t had time for the past few months. 
  
I have never really liked to run with people.  I was so excited when my husband wanted to start to run with me.  But when he actually ran with me it caused me great anxiety.  I guess my biggest reason not to run with people is I’m afraid I’ll hold them back or on the rare (rare) occasion they might hold me back.  I’ve gotten more comfortable running with my husband, good thing since I’ve known him for thirty years and we’ve been married for twenty.  But really when it comes down to it, we always say I meet you at the end whether it’s a training run or a race.  The last race we did, a 5 miler, we caught up to each other at then end and finished together, very unusual for us.

I found a local running group that are the kindest, most welcoming, nicest, (fastest), supportive group you’ll ever meet.  But the fastest part is a bit intimating.  They have these great things called Bagel Runs.  I’ve done a couple with them.  At first, I thought they ran to the Bagel shop, which would be cool, too. Each week they pick a different location and run 3-5 miles.  Then afterwards everyone meets for bagels and coffee and to socialize.  This is right up my alley!  The first one I went to, I was training for my 12-miler. One of the members (who I also know my church) ran some with me.  It was my first time running 8 miles.  It helped me to have someone do the last 3 with me.  My husband was on the mend from an injury at the time.  I got my husband to go with me to the next one months later. We ran with the group but I felt funny because I was so slow.  I’m not used to be last when I do things and when I run with them there is a good chance I’m last.  Let me tell you again, these people are super nice and would run at my pace if I ask them to help me. 

My husband and I also went to a Holiday Light Night Run with them.



Everyone was so gracious but again I had some nervousness running.  I didn’t like the dark and there was the last thing again.  These people are all ages but they are fast as lightning.   Lightning I say! 
But let me tell you what is great about running with a group. 

Beautiful Crisp Morning Run

They get you out the door.  We met them for an 8 a.m. run.  Would I have gotten out of bed for just me? Nope!  I met the walking group on Monday. Would I have walked by myself that morning?  I would not.  I for sure would not of run through the night looking at the Christmas Lights and will do it next year (I’ll be more comfortable or run the route ahead of time). 

There are so many opportunities.  They have a Tuesday running group, they just started a c25k group.  All good stuff!  I mentioned to one of the ladies that one of my goals for 2015 was to get faster.  She said she’d help me.  I might eventually like running with friends!  I’ll keep trying.

Tomorrow:  Reflection on 2014 resolutions.  Thursday:  2015 Resolutions

No comments:

Post a Comment